Translation Funding Programme
We seek to give international readers access to contemporary German-language fiction, non-fiction, and books for children and young adults. Since its inception nearly 50 years ago, our funding programme has provided financial support for the publication of roughly 6,000 books in 45 different languages.
Conditions of Funding
- Publishers abroad are eligible to apply for funding for translations of works by German-language authors that have already been published in German by a publisher
- The translation must be from the German-language original.
- The grant agreement must be concluded before the translation goes to press so that the printed book can include mention of the Goethe-Institut’s patronage and the Goethe-Institut logo.
- We award a grant to cover part of the translation fees after publication of the translation. However, we do not cover the translation fees in full or the costs of licensing, editing or printing the translation.
- The foreign publisher must mention the Goethe-Institut’s patronage and print the Goethe-Institut logo on the copyright page – failing which, the grant will not be paid.
- The amount of the grant will be based only on fees paid to the translator(s) before or upon publication of the translation.
- We would like to make translations that also come out as e-books available for registered users to borrow from our Onleihe. The foreign publisher undertakes to provide us with the translation in EPUB format.
Currently, the jury consists of the following members:
- Jutta Person is a freelance journalist, literary critic and editor of the "Books" section at "Philosophie Magazin".
- Frauke Kniffler is Head of Rights at Klett-Cotta publishing house.
- Christoph Bartmann is an author and literary critic, he worked at the Goethe-Institut until 2021.
- Claudia Amthor-Croft is Head of the Literature and Translation Funding Department at the Goethe-Institut.
- Anne-Bitt Gerecke is Head of Goethe-Institut's Litrix programme.
- Licensing agreement with the rights holders
- Contract with the translator
- PDF of the German book or text
Application Form (PDF, 255 kB)For further information about eligibility, applying and funding:
Information about applying and eligibility criteria (PDF, 263 kB)
We recommend starting the application process as early as possible. The applications portal will save your information as you go, so you can complete the form at any time before submitting the application.
If you have any questions about pending applications, please quote the application number you received upon submission.
Next application period
For applications submitted between 1 February and 1 March 2023, applicants will be notified by email on 10 May 2023.
Our calls for proposals are open for a one-month period four times a year, with closing dates on 1 March, 1 June, 15 September and 1 December.
email@example.com Tel. +49 89 15921 852 Christiane Descoubes
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. +49 89 15921 851