International Coproduction Fund
A pit to the mountain
Is this a human?
If we vanish
International coproductions epitomize a form of artistic collaboration involving partnership and dialogue. With a view to encouraging new collaborative working processes and innovative productions involving international cultural exchange, the Goethe-Institut set up a new coproduction fund in the summer of 2016 to promote new working networks and approaches within a global context and to explore new forms of intercultural collaboration.
With the International Coproduction Fund the Goethe-Institut would like to support the unrestricted international and intercultural exchange of artists and their ideas. The facilitation of such an exchange and the networking it spawns among the various players are equally as important as the productions resulting from the project.
The joint application, which must be submitted by the foreign partner (living and working abroad), must show clearly that good working contacts already exist between the partners and that both parties are interested in putting together a dialogue-oriented production. The Head Office of the Goethe-Institut recommends highly getting in touch with local Goethe-Instituts for questions about the development of applications.
The International Coproduction Fund promotes projects of a high artistic calibre and with considerable public impact. The results of the collaborative efforts are to be presented in a professional setting abroad, if possible also in Germany. An application should include a feasible financial plan which, in addition to third-party funding, should show the substantial contributions of all the project partners involved. The amount of funding requested should not exceed €25,000.
Projects between German and non-European partners, in particular from transition countries, are preferred.
The project partners have the task of doing active, broad-based public-relations work, in which the support from the Goethe Institut's International Coproduction Fund should always be mentioned. Both partners should pay close attention to documenting the progress of the project with photos, videos, press reports and other modes of display, in order to facilitate a presentation of the project on the website of the International Coproduction Fund.
DeadlinesThe application deadline has expired. The next deadline is yet to be announced.
- The projects submitted should embrace only the performing arts (no outright film or exhibition projects)
- Expected artistic quality of the project
- Relevance of the participating artists in their respective scenes
- Budget indicating project partners’ own contributions / third party funds and a solid financial plan
- A balanced project partnership based on the artistic collaboration, not dominated by one partner
- Realisation of at least one performance outside Germany, if possible also one in Germany
- Projects between German and non-European partners, especially from transition countries, will be preferred (applications from Austria and Switzerland cannot be considered)
- Applications for guest performance funding are not valid
- The project duration has to be within 24 months
Applications to the International Coproduction Fund are made by electronic means using an online form. The application form is only available in English and applications can only be submitted in English.
This blank application form will give you an overview of the structure of the online form. Data Protection.
Template Finance Plan (Excel Download)
- Who can submit the application or who is the first coproducer?
- Who is the 2nd coproducer? Can other coproducers be involved?
Third and other coproducers are not compulsory for the funding of the coproduction, but they increase the chances of being awarded the grant. The definition of a coproducer is deliberately broad. What is decisive is that he/she makes a substantial contribution to the production.
- Where and how often should the production be shown?
- What is not funded by the International Coproduction Fund?
Guest performances can avail themselves of other sponsorship opportunities provided by the Goethe-Institut.
- How can I increase the chances of funding our project?
A clarifying discussion with the responsible Goethe-Institut in your country before the application is submitted can also increase the chances of obtaining funding for the project.
- Can the Goethe-Institut help me find a project partner?
- What are the various procedures of the application process?
For any communication about the proposals, please provide the APPLICATION NUMBER.
The next deadline is yet to be announced.
For questions concerning current or previous applications, please indicate your application number in all communication with us.
Keep in mind that the results of each funding round will be communicated to the applicants by e-mail approximately three months after each application deadline.
International Coproduction Fund