The eLibrary is the virtual library of the Goethe-Institut for the USA. This service allows you to borrow digital media, such as ebooks, audio and video files, and electronic newspapers and magazines, for a predetermined period of time, by downloading them from our eLibrary.
Returning media isn't necessary - at the end of the loan period, media automatically becomes unavailable.
With our eLibrary, borrowing media is at your fingertips 24/7.
Disclaimer: the use of eLibrary media on Apple and Linux powered devices is limited. The use of eLibrary media is not possible on Kindles. Why? Because Apple and Kindles have their own digital rights management (DRM), which are not compatible with the eLibrary's DRM. We recommend you confirm that your PC or Mac operating system is compatible prior to signing up.
The following formats are currently used in the eLibrary:
- for eBooks: PDF-format and/or ePub-format
- for eAudio: WMA-format
- for eVideo: WMV-format
- for ePaper: PDF-format
- Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe Reader for eBooks
- Windows Media Player for eAudio
- Onleihe app for use with smartphones and tablets
ePapers are currently not available for download onto Apple products. eAudio, eMusic and eVideo are also not available to download, even if Windows Mediaplayer for Mac has been installed. However, eAudio and eMusic can be streamed on Apple products.
The eLibrary is not a stand-alone piece of software, rather it requires the intertwining of many, diverse systems. Many of these are outside the scope of the divibib. Please understand
that due to technical reasons, our offerings may not be compatible with every system and device available on the market.
- Complete the Application form and click on "Send application" at the bottom of the page.
- Access to the eLibrary requires a yearly fee of $10, which you may pay online via PayPal (the link to PayPal is on the application form).
- Once we've received your application and verified that payment has been received, a staff member will contact you via email – during the work week generally within 24 hours – with a registration code. Should you have not received an email from us within a few days of applying, please check your email's spam filter. You may also call us at +1 (212) 439-8688.
- Visit the myGoethe.de personalized web platform and create a new user account (registration and use are free of charge). Click on the navigation point "my eLibrary" and enter your registration code.
From the moment you first enter the registration code, you will have access to the eLibrary service for one year. After one year, this access automatically expires. If you wish to continue using the eLibrary service, you will need to fill out another registration form. You will then obtain a new registration code to renew your access to the eLibrary.
If you're interested, please apply for the eLibrary: