Travel grants for curatorial research
Our funding gives curators an opportunity to deepen their knowledge of international contemporary art and to network with the German and foreign art scenes.
© Pexels / Matheus Viana
Conditions of Funding
This funding is not meant to cover: academic research trips, shortfalls in funding to cover travelling expenses for a residency, curating already planned exhibition projects abroad, guest lectures.
- If you are travelling to places abroad where a Goethe-Institut is located, please get in touch with the staff there ahead of time and discuss whether collaboration with the local Goethe-Institut is possible and worthwhile. If you are going to be actively involved in Goethe-Institut projects during your research trip, please make separate arrangements with the Goethe-Institut concerned regarding your fees and expenses etc.
- You are required to submit documentary proof of your travels (e.g. plane/train tickets, hotel receipts etc.) and a brief report within two months after the end of our research trip.
- If you curate any exhibitions, projects, publications etc. drawing on the results of your research trip, you are required to notify us and explicitly mention the Goethe-Institut’s patronage and include the Goethe-Institut logo on all project-related media (printed matter, online etc.).
- The applicant's contact details
- Information about the project itself (title, short description, destination, travel period, etc.)
Please upload the following information to the portal as a single document in pdf format:
- Brief CV
- Your detailed project description. The project description must include a list of costs (both expenses and, if applicable, income, own and third-party funds)
- An overview of your travel plan. In addition to the duration and destination of the trip, the itinerary should also include the specific places, institutions, and people, you intend to meet during your research.
You may also submit additional documents that are relevant to your specific trip (e.g. confirmations from partners, institutions, other funding organizations, etc.). You also have the option of adding links to the project, personal and institutional websites, previous artistic or curatorial projects, etc. in the portal.
Next application deadline
The jury's decision will be announced in mid-February.
More details will follow shortly.
Visual Arts Division