The library is open to the residents of Kolkata and its surroundings. However, you must be a member to be able to borrow books and other materials as well as to use the audio visual media. To be a member you need to fill in a registration card and present a current proof of residence (e.g. passport, driving licence, election card).
The charges for library membership are:
- Annual membership: Rs.1200.-
- 6-monthly membership: Rs. 700.-
The Library at Max Mueller Bhavan Kolkata houses a selection of the latest print and audiovisual media in German and in translation to keep you informed about the latest trends and current issues.
- Books on German language, philosophy, psychology, visual arts, architecture, photography, cinema, music, theatre, history, literature and general information on Germany
- reference works and dictionaries
- a good pick of important German periodicals and newspapers
- a growing collection of contemporary German films
- an exquisite collection of audio books, music CDs,
- Videos and DVDs
- Internet Access and printing facility
- Various programmes for the members
We have an excellent selection for our focal areas of philosophy, psychology, the performing and visual arts, and contemporary German literature.
Books, magazines and periodicals, CDs and cassettes: 3 weeks
DVDs: 1 week
Items can be renewed twice, provided there is no prior reservation (except for CDs and language teaching materials).
We also offer outstation membership. Special conditions apply.