Mumbai - Karlsruhe: 1 month
Call for applications
Residency call by Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai and ZKM | Center for Art and Media
About the residency:
Over the next two years the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai will focus on programmes that deal with the intersections between arts, technology and civil society. The aim of the programme is to promote media arts that can then be used as tools to promote public engagement. Most of these programmes would take the form of small co-creating interdisciplinary sessions aimed towards developing larger collaborative projects.
In view of the above the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai in collaboration with the ZKM | Center for Art and Media, Germany would like to offer two artists a residency at the Hertz Lab in ZKM. The residency is aimed at promoting ideas in sound art, music, Ai based artistic projects, media arts amongst others. We will be selecting one artist with more of a visual focus (mappers, animators, etc) and one with a music or sound focus (sound artists, musicians, etc), however both should be open to exploring different methodologies and media.
What is offered?
The ZKM | Hertz-Lab offers artists working in all genres - from the visual arts to music - to try out a diversity of technologies in collaboration with scientists and developers. The main focuses of the Hertz Lab are art production and research on media technology. Contemporary concepts in the arts and sciences, for example, artificial intelligence, extended reality, immersion and sensor-enabled environments are carefully reflected on, reviewed for artistic usability, and implemented in productions. Scholars, scientists, and artists from all over the world find ideal conditions at the ZKM to realize their theoretical and practical projects. With its Hertz-Lab the ZKM is also a research center that connects science, technology, and art in a new alliance for the digital age.
- Each resident would have to work independently or together on their project ideas, they will be offered technical facilities of the lab and also be given timely guidance by experts at the lab for a month.
- The Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai will cover one round trip to Karlsruhe Germany.
- Each resident will received a stipend equivalent of € 1200,00, that would cover their accommodation and living expenses in Karlsruhe.
- The ZKM would help in finding accommodation, however residents would have to book it themselves.
- Artist must be based in Mumbai and be an Indian citizen.
- Artist must commit to the entire period of the residency (one Month – May 1 to 31, 2020).
- Artist should be willing to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Artists should have an interdisciplinary project or idea to work on during the residency.
- Artists must on their return to Mumbai participate in the sessions organised at / by Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai as multiplicators.
- The proposed project cannot have any other funders or supporters.
How to apply:
- Please send a project proposal (approx. 800 to 1000 words), especially highlighting what you hope to achieve at the residency.
- Link to your work: (vimeo, soundcloud, etc).
8th March: Application deadline.
16th March: Selected applicants would be notified.
19th March: Resident needs to accept the residency.
Hertz Lab: https://zkm.de/en/about-the-zkm/organization/hertz-lab
TO SUBMIT FILL THE FORM BELOW!
For queries email: Amruta.Nemivant@goethe.de
When you send us the information, you declare your consent for us to use your personal data for purposes of answering your enquiry and/or contacting you. You can revoke your consent by sending an e-mail message to Amruta.Nemivant@goethe.de. If you revoke your consent, your data will be erased immediately. Otherwise, your data will be erased after we have processed your enquiry or if the purpose of storing it no longer exists.