German Roots in Washington
The Hecht Company's main downtown store was located at the southeast corner of 7th and F Streets, where Alexander and Moses Hecht, the sons of a German-Jewish merchant family from Baltimore, first opened a shop on March 20, 1896 at 515 Seventh Street. Photo 2015.
The clock at the corner of 7th and F Streets always marked a convenient place to meet. For years, it was a dusty place for pigeons to land. Now, cleaned, renovated, and working, the clock is reclaiming its former glory as well as its old function, 2015.
Detail from the Hecht Company's façade, 2015.
Macy's acquired The Hecht Company, which had been absorbed into The May Department Stores Company, and currently (2010) operates the only large department store still in existence in downtown DC, in a more spacious building further west at 1201 G Street NW.
Historic American Buildings Survey - Hecht Company Building