Germany, 2018, 100 min., Director: Caroline Link, Screenplay: Ruth Toma, Cast: Julius Weckauf, Luise Heyer, Sönke Möhring
- Bavarian Film Awards 2018: Best Director, Caroline Link
- German Film Awards 2019: Best Feature Film in Bronze; Best Supporting Actress (Luise Heyer); Most-Viewed Film in Cinemas (Caroline Link); Best Director, Caroline Link (nominiert); Best Screenplay, Ruth Toma (nominiert); Best Cinematography (Judith Kaufmann)
- Deutscher Schauspielpreis 2019: Category Actress in a Comedic Role (Ursula Werner); Nomination in Categorz Actress in a Comedic Role (Hedi Kriegeskotte)
- Jupiter Award 2019: Best Film
- New Faces Awards 2019: Special Recognition: Julius Weckauf
- Romyverleihung 2019: Best Director, Feature Film (Caroline Link); Best Cinematography, Feature Film (Judith Kaufmann); Best Newcomer (Julius Weckauf)
- Seattle International Film Festival 2019: Golden Space Needle Award for Best Actor (Julius Weckauf)
Discussion with screenwriter Ruth Toma, moderated by Sky Sitney, and a reception follow the screening.
West Germany’s Ruhr region, 1972: chubby, bubbly 9-year-old Hans-Peter grows up enveloped by the warmth and security of his large and eccentric family. Early in life, he shows signs of being a special kid – in various zany costumes and characters, he demonstrates a knack for making others laugh, a talent that he practices daily in his grandma Änne’s grocery store. Always seizing the opportunity to entertain and cheer up those around him, Hans-Peter’s antics help his family through some of their most trying times. However, when his mother plunges into depression after an operation, a shadow is cast over the boy’s daily life. His mother, once a radiant and carefree soul, becomes a shell of her former self, only uplifted by her son’s abiding determination to make her smile. For Hans-Peter, these moments are enough; an incentive to perfect his comedic talents even more. Titled Der Junge muss an die frische Luft
(The Boy Needs Fresh Air) in German, All About Me
is the touching childhood story of Hape Kerkeling, one of Germany’s most treasured comedians.
was born in 1964 in Bad Neuheim, Germany. She first experienced working in the film business in 1984, when she interned at Munich’s Bavaria Studios after finishing gymnasium and spending one year abroad in the United States. Beginning in 1986, she studied filmmaking at the University of Television and Film Munich (HFF) and graduated in 1990. Her films include Beyond Silence
(1996), Punktchen und Anton
(1999), and the Academy-Award winning Nowhere in Africa
Back to Film|Neu 2019 Overview