The “Grünes Diplom”
German Teacher's Training programme of Goethe-Institut
The “Grünes Diplom” : German Teachers Training Programm at Goethe-Institut Max Mueller Bhavan
The “Grünes Diplom” was introduced in 2004 and constitutes the standard basic qualification for teachers of German as a Foreign language at Goethe-Instituts worldwide. On completion of this programme you are eligible to teach “German as a foreign language” from the level A1 to B1. During the training programme you are acquainted with the methodology of teaching and the necessary skills needed for the same.
The “Grünes Diplom” is recognized by all the Goethe-Instituts abroad, however no Goethe-Institut is obligated to employ you upon completion of the “Grünes Diplom”.
- Bachelor’s degree (in any field)
- German Language Proficiency B2-level; (however C1-level proficiency must be achieved and a proof of the same shall be submitted during the training programme)
- The training Programme fee is INR 90.000 and can be paid in installments.
- You are not entitled to any refund of the fee in case you are not able to continue with the programme.
The Teachers' training programme “Grünes Diplom”
The teacher training programme “Grünes Diplom” of the Goethe-Institut for teaching German as a foreign language to adult learners consists of four phases, as well as an internship programme with focus on specific aspects of teaching methodology.
• DLL 1: Teaching Competence and Lesson Designing
• DLL 2: How do you learn The Foreign Language German?
• DLL 3: German as a Foreign Language
• DLL 4: Tasks, Assignments, Exercises, Interaction
• DLL 5: Teaching and Learning Media
• DLL 6: Curricular Guidelines and Lesson Planning
They do this via the distance learning mode on the Learning Platform of the Goethe-Institut (Moodle) supplemented by Online-Live-Sessions. In an introductory Online-Live-Session the participants are briefed about the concept of the DLL-programme and the Learning Platform.
Furthermore, the participants are introduced in this phase to online-live-teaching:
The main topics here are:
• Differences between Classroom and Online-Live-Teaching
• Specifics of Planning Online-Live-Lessons
• Introduction to the Technology of the Online-Live-Tool
• Action-Orientation, Interaction-Orientation, Participant-Activation in Online-Live-Lessons
• Use the Learning Platform for Online-Live-Lessons
• Use Web2.0 Tools for Online-Teaching
• The Implementation / Moderation of Online-Live-Lessons
The participants shall also, if necessary, take part in a C1 level language course in this phase.
This phase includes Lesson-Observation, the Implementation of the Action-Research-Project (PEP) and a Workshop on the topic "Phonetics".
The Lesson-Observation takes place under the guidance of a supervisory teacher, which includes observing lessons conducted the supervisory teacher. This is preceded by a preliminary discussion and followed by a debriefing of the lessons attended. Thereafter the candidate gives lessons based on one's own lesson preparation (trail lessons).
Finally a 90 Minute Lesson of the candidate is evaluated (demonstration lesson).
The participants carry out an Action-Research-Experiment (“Praxiserkundungsprojekt: PEP”) in small groups to each of the six modules of the DLL-programme. During the course of this project the participants have the possibility of observing actual Classroom/Online-Live-Teaching or observing digitally recorded teaching lessons. This enables them to reflect on the methodology and identify new methods. These findings are then presented and discussed in a face-to-face or online-live-sessions. Thereafter a written documentation of the Action-Research-Project must be submitted individually to the training team and the team sends the participant a standardized written feedback.
Completion of Phase 2
- Demonstration Lesson 1
- Demonstration Lesson 2: At the end of this phase, the participant is required to teach 2 units of 45 minutes each in the level A2 to demonstrate the knowledge of the country and language as well as the intercultural competence acquired in the above mentioned seminar.
• Tests and Examinations i.e. the „ Prüferzertifikat” (The Examiner Certificate) for the Levels A1 to B1
• Online Tutorial Training for the Course Programs of the Goethe Institut
• Intercultural Learning in Foreign Language Teaching
• Language Proficiency - Level C1