The “Grünes Diplom”
German Teacher's Training programme of Goethe-Institut
The “Grünes Diplom” : German Teachers Training Programm at Goethe-Institut Max Mueller Bhavan
The “Grünes Diplom” was introduced in 2004 and constitutes the standard basic qualification for teachers of German as a Foreign language at Goethe-Instituts worldwide. On completion of this programme you are eligible to teach “German as a foreign language” from the level A1 to B1. During the training programme you are acquainted with the methodology of teaching and the necessary skills needed for the same.
The “Grünes Diplom” is recognized by all the Goethe-Instituts abroad, however no Goethe-Institut is obligated to employ you upon completion of the “Grünes Diplom”.
- Bachelor’s degree (in any field)
- German Language Proficiency C1-level; (however C2-level proficiency must be achieved and a proof of the same shall be submitted latest by the end of the training programme)
- The training Programme fee is INR 90.000 and can be paid in installments.
- You are not entitled to any refund of the fee in case you are not able to continue with the programme.
The Teachers' training programme “Grünes Diplom”
The teacher training programme “Grünes Diplom” of the Goethe-Institut for teaching German as a foreign language to adult learners consists of four phases, as well as an internship programme with focus on specific aspects of teaching methodology.
- German Language Teaching at The Goethe-Institut
- Introduction to the Techniques of Classroom
- Role of a Teacher and Teaching Activities
- Teaching Grammar
- Vocabulary Training
- Receptive Skills
- Productive Skills
- Phonetics and Pronunciation
- Lesson Planning
- Quality Standards of Teaching at The Goethe-Institut
Phase 1 comes to a close with Team Teaching or Micro-Teaching for about 30 minutes. This shall demonstrate whether the participant is eligible to continue with the training programme.
The following six modules will be worked upon:
- DLL 1: Teaching Competencies and Lesson Designing
- DLL 2: How Does One Learn The Foreign Language German?
- DLL 3: German as a Foreign Language
- DLL 4: Tasks, Assignments, Exercises, Interactions
- DLL 5: Teaching Materials and Media
- DLL 6: · Prescribed Curricula and Lesson PlanningAction Research
The participants carry out an Action Research Experiment (“Praxiserkundungsprojekt PEP”) in small groups to each of the six modules of the DLL-programme. During the course of this project the participants have the possibility of observing actual classroom teaching or observing digitally recorded teaching lessons. This enables them to reflect on the methodology and identify new methods. These findings are then presented and discussed in a face-to-face session or via video conferencing. Thereafter a written documentation of the Action Research Project has to be handed over to the trainer individually and the trainer sends the participant a standardized feedback in writing
Completion of Phase 2
This phase concludes with a Knowledge Test encompassing all the six modules via the learning platform of the Goethe-Institut. The result is included in the overall score.
Demonstration Lesson 1
At the end of this phase, the participants are required to teach 2 units of 45 minutes each in the level A1 to demonstrate the didactical knowledge acquired. The result of this is included in the overall score. On successful completion of this phase he/she may at discretion of the training team be given a class in the level A1 and thereafter complete the remaining part of the training while teaching/working.
- Tests and Examinations
- Digital Media in German Language Teaching
- Intercultural Learning in Foreign Language Teaching
- Language Proficiency-Level C1
- „ Prüferzertifikat” (The Examiner Certificate) for the Levels A1 to B1
- The Moodle Training
- The Online “Tutorierungsschulung”
- The Online Training to work with Interactive Whiteboards
Demonstration lesson 2:
At the end of this phase, the participants are required to teach 2 units of 45 minutes each in the level A2. The result is of this included in the overall score.