In Our Own Words: BIPOC Perspectives in Children's Literature (2023)
With the aim of a more diverse children's literature, the publication brings together stories and illustrations from different BIPOC perspectives. It shows works from authors and illustrators who took part in workshops organised by DRIN in autumn 2022. The publication is edited by illustrator Warda Ahmed from Finland, with two Germans, illustrator Jasmina El Bouamraoui (El Boum) and writer Chantal-Fleur Sandjon: the expert consultants on the DRIN project.
DOWNLOADIn Our Own Words: BIPOC Perspectives in Children's Literature (2023)
In Our Own Words: BIPOC Perspectives in Children's Literature (2021)
The publication brings together visions of more diverse storytelling and children’s literature from different BIPOC perspectives. The publication gives a voice to people involved at all stages of a book’s life: from training to writing and illustration, from publishing to use in libraries and schools. The publication is edited by illustrator Warda Ahmed from Finland, with two Germans, illustrator Jasmina El Bouamraoui (El Boum) and writer Chantal-Fleur Sandjon: the expert consultants on the DRIN project.
On this page we collect materials from events of the project. The materials are freely accessible. If you have questions or comments, we gladly establish contacts to the persons who have created the materials.
- Jenny Lucander, Illustrator, Finland: Presentation "Diversity in the Illustration of Children's Books" (11.11.2020) (PDF, 4 MB)
- Jenny Lucander, Illustratori, Finland: Text of the presentation (11.11.2020) (PDF, 78 kB)
- Jasmina El Bouamraoui and Warda Ahmed, illustrators, Germany/ Finland: Picture-analysis (11.11.2021) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Prof. Dr. Maisha Auma: Introductory Keynote: Bridging the diversity gap in children's literature (PDF, 3 MB)
- Librarian Woody Oliphant, Sweden: DRIN - A librarian's perspective (4.6.2020) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Johanna Lestelä: My journey in writing a diverse children's book (4.6.2020) (PDF, 101 kB)
PartnersDeutsche Akademie für Kinder- und Jugendliteratur
Kuvittajat ry - Illustratörerna i Finland rf - The Finnish Illustration Associaton
Lastenkirjainstituutti - Barnboksinstitutet - The Finnish Institute for Children's Literature
Lukukeskus - Läscentrum - The Finnish Reading Centre
Kinderboekenmuseum - Children's Book Museum Netherlands
Suomen Saksan-instituutti - Finnland-Institut in Deutschland
Status Queer Gothenburg
Norsk barnebokinstitutt - The Norwegian Institut for Children's Books
The project is supported by
The project is based on cooperation. Please contact us if you are interested in collaborating with us!
Project lead: Alexandra Stang
Tel. +358 44 722 2704