In Our Own Words: BIPOC Perspectives in Children's Literature (2021)
The publication brings together visions of more diverse storytelling and children’s literature from different BIPOC perspectives. The publication gives a voice to people involved at all stages of a book’s life: from training to writing and illustration, from publishing to use in libraries and schools. The publication is edited by illustrator Warda Ahmed from Finland, with two Germans, illustrator Jasmina El Bouamraoui (El Boum) and writer Chantal-Fleur Sandjon: the expert consultants on the DRIN project.
On this page we collect materials from events of the project. The materials are freely accessible. If you have questions or comments, we gladly establish contacts to the persons who have created the materials.
- Jenny Lucander, Illustrator, Finland: Presentation "Diversity in the Illustration of Children's Books" (11.11.2020) (PDF, 4 MB)
- Jenny Lucander, Illustratori, Finland: Text of the presentation (11.11.2020) (PDF, 78 kB)
- Jasmina El Bouamraoui and Warda Ahmed, illustrators, Germany/ Finland: Picture-analysis (11.11.2021) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Prof. Dr. Maisha Auma: Introductory Keynote: Bridging the diversity gap in children's literature (PDF, 3 MB)
- Librarian Woody Oliphant, Sweden: DRIN - A librarian's perspective (4.6.2020) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Johanna Lestelä: My journey in writing a diverse children's book (4.6.2020) (PDF, 101 kB)
- Video of the seminar "Off the page. Fostering diversity in children’s book publishing" (30.11.2021), Part 1
- Video of the seminar "Off the page. Fostering diversity in children’s book publishing" (30.11.2021), Part 2: Talk by Prof. Dr. Maisha Auma: "Windows and Mirrors for hyperdiverse realities. Anti/De/Postcolonial Perspectives and Children's Literature"
- Video of the discussion "Diversity in the book market" (21.10.2021)
- "Who's in Your Book. Diversity in Children's Stories", Goethe-Institut Irland (17.9.21)
- Prof. Dr. Maureen Maisha Auma: Video: Bridging the diversity gap in children's literature (4.6.2020)
- Illustrator Dapo Adeola, Great-Britain: Lecture on illustrating (4.6.2020)
Notes from events
- Webinar 4.6.2020: Group No. 1: Learning by example: Book recommendations and criteria
- Webinar 4.6.2020: Group No. 2: #ownvoices - BIPoCs in publishing
- Webinar 4.6.2020: Group No. 3: In the right hands: The role of libraries, bookstores, kindergardens etc.
- Webinar 4.6.2020: Group No. 4: Strong networks: How to build and keep them
PartnersDeutsche Akademie für Kinder- und Jugendliteratur
Kuvittajat ry - Illustratörerna i Finland rf - The Finnish Illustration Associaton
Lastenkirjainstituutti - Barnboksinstitutet - The Finnish Institute for Children's Literature
Lukukeskus - Läscentrum - The Finnish Reading Centre
Kinderboekenmuseum - Children's Book Museum Netherlands
Suomen Saksan-instituutti - Finnland-Institut in Deutschland
Status Queer Gothenburg
Norsk barnebokinstitutt - The Norwegian Institut for Children's Books
The project is supported by
The project is based on cooperation. Please contact us if you are interested in collaborating with us!
Project leader: Alexandra Stang
Tel. +358 44 7222704
Project assistant: Siina Sammalisto
Tel. +358 44 7222703