Andreas Baur, born in 1958 in Giengen an der Brenz, has been the director of the Galerien der Stadt Esslingen am Neckar, housed in the Villa Merkel and the Bahnwärterhaus, since 2001.
Having first studied painting under Paul Uwe Dreyer at Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design, minoring in art history at the University of Stuttgart (1978–1985), Baur took a second undergraduate degree in art history from 1987 to 1992 at the University of Hamburg (focusing on the 19th and 20th century). He was a research assistant at the Hamburger Kunsthalle from 1992 to 1994, then worked as a curator at the Kunsthaus Hamburg until 1997. As the first director of the Kunsthaus Baselland, which was founded in late 1997 in Muttenz near Basel, Andreas Baur was responsible for establishing and running the museum from 1998 to 2001.
Andreas Baur sits on a number of commissions and juries, has published numerous essays and catalogues on contemporary art and has held several teaching posts, among others at Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design.
- "Good Space, Everything is Architecture" (2016), gemeinsam kuratiert mit Clea Laade und Anka Wenzel, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2016
- "Better than de Kooning", Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2015
- "Obsessionen und surreale Welten", Arbeiten aus der Graphischen Sammlung der Stadt Esslingen am Neckar, gemeinsam kuratiert mit Tina Plokarz, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2014
- Michael Bauer: “K-Hole (Frogs)”, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2011
- Darren Almond: “Nocturne”, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2011
- “8th International Photo-Triennial Esslingen – Mapping Worlds”. International group show, Villa Merkel, Esslingen, 2010